Saturday 14 December 2013

Marmite and peanut butter on toast



For anyone wondering if Marmite with peanut butter on toast works: it does.

Since my good friend James told me about this I keep encountering people (particularly children) who like it for breakfast or as a snack. In fact its become relatively mainstream - there's a Facebook page dedicated to it (okay, only two likes) and Googling it gives 100,000 results.

I guess it makes sense if you think about: we eat salted peanuts so the Marmite in this instance brings a yeasty saltiness to the marriage.

How I made it
  1. Butter toast
  2. Spread with peanut butter
  3. Spread with Marmite (careful not to get peanutty crumbs in the jar please)
Variations
  • The obvious one would be to swap the Marmite with jam. But this is even less of a curiosity
  • I have heard that Nutella and peanut butter work well (of course they would - chocolate and peanuts is a classic combo)

2 comments:

  1. Yes. Yes. yes. I think marmite underneath is better though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. Yes. yes. I think marmite underneath is better though.

    ReplyDelete