Wednesday 3 July 2013

Pasta with cheesy baked beans and brown sauce


A sort of modern day, greasy spoon interpretation of the Italian peasant supper Pasta e Fagioli (literally translated as pasta and beans), this dish took me rather by surprise.

Those offended by the humble baked bean or 'the brown' (often un-affectionately known as 'bum gravy' or 'devil's violation' by those disgusted by its vinegary fruitiness and unappealing colour), will not like this. I on the other hand enjoyed the marriage of sweet, spicy bean juice with silky smooth penne and cheese.

This quick and simple supper - made with store cupboard and fridge essentials - has been duly added to the curious concoctions hall of fame. Thank you Marie Campho.

How I made it
  1. Boil the pasta. I used penne
  2. Heat the baked beans
  3. Grate a decent amount of cheddar cheese
  4. Mix the pasta with the beans, half of the cheese and a generous glug of brown sauce
  5. I'm not sure if this is in the original recipe but I added a bit of starchy water from the pasta to thicken it. I saw it done on Nigella once
  6. Serve on a plate. I used one from Ikea
  7. Add the remaining cheese. Season to suit your palate
Variations
  • Swap gruyere instead of cheddar
  • Add cooked, chopped up sausages
  • Put the pasta mix in a dish, sprinkle with cheese and bake in the oven until golden

No comments:

Post a Comment